Paying for College

Having the means to pay for college can be challenging, but options such as scholarships, internships, and financial aid can make it more feasible!

Federal Financial Aid

Apply for grants, loans and work-study jobs through the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).  FAFSA applications are submitted once per school year. Some Federal grants and work-study jobs are limited, so file the FAFSA early to have the most available opportunities.

Beginning January 1, students can apply for financial aid for the upcoming school year. Students are encouraged to apply by March 1st each year to ensure funds are ready by the beginning of the Fall Semester.

State Financial Aid

Mississippi residents can find state scholarships and financial aid at There are both need-based and merit-based grants and scholarships. Forgivable loan programs include: health care, education, social work, and graduate school. One full year of residency is required.


To apply for MSU’s general scholarships, students may fill out the application during each Spring semester in the MyState portal for the upcoming year. Additional scholarships may also be found through academic departments.


Students interested in having a part-time on-campus or off-campus job can search for one with the help of the MSU Career Center.

Internships and Co-ops

Internships and co-ops not only provide extra cash, but also valuable experience to include in your resume. The average MSU co-op student makes $ 19 an hour and 70% receive a job offer from their co-op employer after graduation. Visit for information.

Military Service

If you or your parent or guardian is in the military or a veteran, these programs can benefit you:

  • The GI Bill is available for Active Duty Military, Veterans and Reservists. 
  • Students may also join the Reserve Officer Training Program (ROTC), which helps pay for tuition, books, and provides a monthly stipend. For more information, visit Air Force ROTC or Army ROTC.

Other programs for Active Duty Military, Veterans, Reservists and their spouses, dependents, and survivors can be found at the MSU Center for America’s Veterans.

Campus Opportunities

Students of any major have additional opportunities to earn extra cash.

  • Students who live on campus can apply to become a resident advisor. RA’s receive a full room scholarship, meal plan, and stipend. More information about becoming an RA in addition to other residence hall employment opportunities can be found through the Department of Housing and Residence Life.
  • Students with musical talents can audition for scholarships through the MSU Band or MSU Choral Ensembles. MSU Choral Service Awards go up to $ 3,000 per semester for In-State students and $ 6,000 per semester for Out-of-State students.

Academic Common Market

Are you seeking a degree not offered in your home state? Check out the Academic Common Market to see if you’re eligible for getting your out-of-state fees waived!